Sunday 24 July 2011

My first post - On The Wisdom of Solomon

In the course of a homily in the seminary, I learned that a priest must beware of sliding downhill through the three phases known as "fit," "fat" and "phut". At the moment I am putting on weight so I should take care lest I enter the second stage before my time.

King Solomon is also said to have moved through three phases in his life: Wisdom, Wealth and Women. While he was still young, he made the right choice and opted for wisdom. His wisdom gave him great wealth and political power. But even wisdom cannot help one who chooses to be unwise. Solomon, blinded by his power and wealth, forsook the divine gift of wisdom and made the wrong choices - especially in his choice of women to associate with - and finally died in disgrace. Or so the Bible tells us. On account of his mismanagement, the country was furious with the Davidic dynasty, and in the reign of his son and successor Rehoboam (922 BC onwards) the ten northern tribes rose in rebellion and the Kingdom was divided.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see a blog from you finally !

    So Solomon's wisdom actually diminshed with age? "Once wise, always wise" is just like "once saved..."

    And if you have time check out my blog:

    http://catholicbriefly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete